Monday, March 10, 2014

Things That I've Learned - Part Two

If you missed the first installment of "Things That I've Learned" you can read it HERE.

This is mostly a rant in the form of an enlightened post.  My bad.




1) People are annoying.  Sometimes you can't change people's minds.  Example:  I cook delicious food.  I'm not bragging, it's just a fact, my food is amazing.  My father will NOT try my food.  If it even looks a little bit healthy he won't even try it.  Not only will he not try it, but he will also remark that it smells weird or looks weird.  This frustrates the hell out of me.  What also frustrates me is when people tell me that I need to eat meat to survive.  Whoah... I haven't had meat in OVER ELEVEN YEARS and here I am... SURVIVING.  Please don't spout off an unsubstantiated fact that you "know" is true and then completely shut down when I try to provide you (nicely) with actual evidence that I'm going to keep on surviving.  I'm not even the type of person that will give you a dirty look if you're eating meat.  If you want to eat meat, be my guest, I'm not even going to judge you, everyone does it and has been doing it for years but please respect my choice to not eat meat and don't act like I'm some hippie that eats dirt and grass.  No. I get all of the vitamins and minerals that I need because I am informed and I am an intelligent human being.  But you know what? I am going to judge you if you're telling me that I'm not getting enough protein while you eat a fucking twinkie and wash it down with a Coke.  Bye.

Obviously disregard the animal products on the right but the message is clear.

2) A good blender changes EVERYTHING! I used to avoid recipes where i had to blend anything because my blender was a piece of crap and now I go out of my way to blend things.  I got the Ninja Food and Drink Maker.  You can see it HERE.

3) All that I really need is a job that allows me two hours a day of company time to watch my shows because I have to watch them the day after. Okay maybe four hours. Five on Thursdays and Mondays.

ps. here is a bonus recipe that I tried and think should be shared with the masses!

It's basically baked tofu covered in a cilantro pesto.  Read it HERE.

I made it twice.  Once the way that the recipe has listed above and the second time I changed it a little bit to fit my tastes.

All of the ingredients. yum!
Cilantro Pesto Tofu
1 package of extra firm tofu (I used the kind packed in water)
small handful of pine nuts
1 generous bunch of cilantro
3 cloves of garlic
1/8 cup of lime juice
1 heaping tablespoon of nutritional yeast
3 tablespoons of olive oil
1/2 teaspoon of salt

1) Press the tofu using a tofu press or place in between two cutting boards and put something heavy on top of it to get all of the water out of it.
2) After water is removed, cut tofu into cubes and place of a baking sheet covered in tin foil.
3) Bake at 325 F for about 30 mins, flipping over halfway through.  I like to cook it until the outside is firm to the touch.
4) While the tofu is baking, place all of the ingredients except for the tofu in a food processor or blender and blend until smooth.
5) After tofu is done and relatively cooled, mix together.  Eat hot or cold!

The pesto!

Ciao ciao! -Katelyn

pps. If you need any ideas for vegan recipes go look at my Vegan Recipe Pinterest board HERE!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Design by Caked Designs