Monday, March 3, 2014

I quit shampoo

A few weeks ago I quit shampooing and conditioning my hair. I saw one of my friends tweet about how she was trying it and I thought why not? I'm trying to eat cleaner, I might as well use less chemicals on my body as well.  My mother pointed out that it's kind of pointless considering I am bathing in Naples water, which is notorious for chemicals, but I see it as something good that I can do for my body.  Also, when that water washes down the drain there's really no guarantee of where it's going so I feel like it's also better for the environment to use less shampoo. 

I read a few blog posts/reviews about it. One of them described the process as going "no-poo". You sound stupid. Stop saying that. "Shampoo" is only one syllable longer than "poo", you don't need to shorten it. Stahhhhp. 

One of the benefits of this is you don't have to wash your hair as much because it doesn't get as oily. I already went days without washing my hair but now I can do it without looking like a complete train wreck/homeless person! Yay!


So how do I clean my hair you ask? With two things that you can find in basically every pantry. Baking soda and apple cider vinegar. How does it work you ask? I honestly have no idea. It has something to do with PH levels. I am not even going to pretend like I understand because I don't. 

The way that I do it... 
I have a cup that I keep in the shower. I am considering investing in squirt bottles so that I don't have to make the mixtures each time I wash my hair but it's not like it's hard or takes a while so it's whatevs.   I fill the cup up about 1/4 of the way with baking soda and the rest with water.  Then I strategically pour it on my head and scrub, concentrated at the scalp. Then rinse with water.

Make sure you rinse out the cup really well before the next step because if you add vinegar to a cup with baking soda residue in it, it's gross.  I think we all remember making volcanoes with the stuff and if you don't you were robbed of a childhood.  

Then I fill the cup about 1/6 of the way with apple cider vinegar (ACV) and the rest of the way with water.  I usually use bottled water for this part because it makes me feel better.  I take the ends of my hair and dunk it in the ACV/water mixture making sure it's really saturated.  Then I VERY CAREFULLY pour it on my scalp.  I usually wrap it up in a towel and let it sit for a little bit because it gets really annoying when it drips down my body.  Then I rinse.

What my hair looked like at first... ew.


A few notes on the process:
1) It took me about three washes to finally balance out my hair.  The first time that I washed my hair this way even after I dried my hair, it looked wet.  One of my bosses was like, "Oh honey... no, you must wash your hair" and I explained it to her.  I was rocking the "wet hair" trend for like two days... it was rough.
2) The smell.  The number one concern that people have when I tell them that I was trying this is, "wait doesn't it smell?"  Honestly, yeah... it does.  For a little bit.  Maybe like 12 hours? I haven't blown my hair dry yet so maybe that would help.  What I've been doing lately is putting a few drops of jasmine oil in my hair after I wash.
3) It is so worth it.  My hair is shiny and has tons of volume and my ends are not dry at all.  I literally have not washed it in five days and it looks like I washed it yesterday.  I think I might do this for the rest of my life.
4) It's cheaper! No more 15 dollar shampoo and 30 dollar conditioning treatment for me!

I literally have not washed my hair in a week.  I feel like that sounds gross, but I don't need to because it's not oily AT ALL. After SEVEN DAYS.

Proof.  It should be brushed but that's irrelevant.
Update: Every time I was my hair the results are better! My hair is so shiny and smooth and it has SO much volume and I love it because it's just my natural hair, no chemicals or additives! I can't remember the time my hair looked and felt so fantastic.  I used to use the It's a 10 hair masque and while it was effective when I used it, I didn't know it could be like this!!

ciao ciao!
- Katelyn

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Design by Caked Designs